Hi Byron,

Some suggestions:

1) Hiera comes with a handy command-line tool to query your config so try
using that first.  What does running:

  # hiera -h system::augeas

return?  If it returns the ntp hash then your hiera config is good.

2) If not, are /etc/hiera.yaml and /etc/puppet/hiera.yaml the same file?  I
usually symlink one to the other to avoid issues.

3) Assuming your environment is "production" (the default) based on your
hiera.yaml the common.yaml file should be
/etc/puppet/hieradata/production/common.yaml.  Is this the case?

4) Not the point of your question, but to set NTP servers use system::ntp
:-)  It does uses Augeas underneath but is easier to use.

  - Keith