Hi there,

in house, we rely on the lsb facts:
lsbdistcodename, lsbdistdescription, lsbdistid, lsbdistrelease, and
lsbmajdistrelease

all of which are essentially derived from the
/etc/${distro-specific-release-file} and don't _really_ need the lsb packages
(and the associated bloat) installed.

I'd like to come up with a good way to allow these facts to exist while
streamlining our systems.
I see a few different approaches, and thought Id ask for community input on the
best solution before just picking a direction and running with it.

1) some idea I've not thought up. (I'm sure there's a few of them)

2) distribute a script to derive this info. /opt/puppet/bin/lsb_release_lite or
something, and in the absence of lsb_release (the binary that facter turns to
to generate this information) facter asks this script.

PRO: Minimal changes to existing facts.
PRO: Adds "robustness" while keeping the os-specific code out of the facts.

CON: Another script to maintain in puppet.
CON: can't override what lsb_release provides on edge OSes with funky lsb vaues

2A) distribute as part of PE/Puppet:
  PRO: More immediately available sexy.
  CON: More stuff distributed as part of PE/Puppet.

2B) distribute as supplementary module on forge:
 PRO: Outside of puppet.  / product distance / resisting scope creep.
 CON: Lack of visibility/awareness/immediately available sexy.

3) adjust the facts to derive the data in the absence of the binary.

PRO: Additional "robustness".

CON: moar bugs in facter! more complicated facts which could slow execution
time (minimally) if not written properly.
CON: can't override what lsb_release provides on edge OSes with funky lsb vaues

4) distribute additional facts (negatively weighted) to provide this
information in the absence of the binary.

PRO: Everything is derived from facts, as opposed to an external script.
PRO: Have a means to override funky edge OSes if desired.

CON: The worst parts of 3, with additional confusion.

4A )  distribute them in facter core
  PRO: More immediately available sexy..
  CON: Where does 'core' end?

4B) distribute as forge module
  PRO: not part of core.
  CON: not part of core.

thoughts?

This message may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this message.
See http://www.datapipe.com/legal/email_disclaimer/ for further information on
confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic communication. If you
cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send
the contents to you.