Hi Chris,

Take a look at run stages
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/language_guide.html#stages
They make it a little easier to perform some coarse ordering.

additionally, you can use PuppetLabs stdlib module and take advantage of the
anchor pattern sparingly.
Here's a good example of its use:
https://github.com/adrienthebo/puppetlabs-mrepo/blob/master/manifests/init.pp

Hope that helps!

On Mar 20, 2013, at 5:04 PM, Chris Handy <chrisjha...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> I am running puppet 3.1.1 and have a site.pp which roughly looks like this
>
> site.pp:
> node basenode {
>   include common
> }
>
> node 'server1' inherits basenode {
>   include role::appserver
> }
> node 'server2' inherits basenode {
>   include role::webserver
> }
>
> And my common module includes lots of different types of classes for creating
> base directories, adding in users/groups, setting up LDAP, mcollective, etc..
>  So my issue is how to make sure that the common module runs before the roles
> listed in my node definitions.  I know that I could write out
>
> node 'server1' inherits basenode {
>   class{'common': } ->
>   class{'role::appserver': }
> }
> node 'server2' inherits basenode {
>   class{'common': } ->
>   class{'role::webserver': }
> }
>
> but I am trying to think of a better way to do this.  Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

This message may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this message.
See http://www.datapipe.com/legal/email_disclaimer/ for further information on
confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic communication. If you
cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send
the contents to you.