On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Nick Fagerlund
<nick.fagerl...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> First off, check Puppet's hiera_config setting
> (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/3.1.1/configuration.html#hieraconfig)
> -- is there a value in your puppet.conf?

nope, nothing.
I tried your suggestion of explicitly setting it.
It gets ignored.
Would be real nice if there was some way to strace the puppetmaster
demon doing its thing for a client!

> Next, double-check the syntax of your hiera.yaml file.
> (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/hiera/1/configuring.html) Are you forgetting the
> leading colon on :hierarchy:?

Here it is --

#
# Apparently, this file is NOT CHECKED
#
---
:backends:
  - yaml
:yaml:
  :datadir: /etc/puppet/hieradata
:hierarchy:
  - %{hostname}

####

to keith's suggestion, of

>Also you can use the hiera command-line utility [1] to test - for example:
>
 > # hiera --debug philcheck::value

That doesnt quite work as-is, eh?
Because I need to know how to set the client hostname,
Plus it's not pulling in whatever puppet is setting it to. It's
pulling from /etc/yaml.conf if I call it that way.

If I call it with -c /etc/puppet/hiera.yaml, it passes the syntax
check. and even loads the value I expect.
So it's not a matter of a syntax error making the thing default, either. sigh...