On Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:03:31 AM UTC-5, Johan De Wit wrote:

>  On 03/28/2013 02:20 PM, jcbollinger wrote:
>

> On Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:32:06 AM UTC-5, Johan De Wit wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm in the progress of writing custom facts to retrieve our network
>> configuration for the nodes from the openldap ENC.
>>

> I'm confused.  An ENC is a service for the master's use, so nodes should
> have nothing to do with it.  You can, of course, use the same LDAP server
> to back an ENC as well as client LDAP services, but for those different
> uses you should neither need nor want to access the same data.
>
>  In this case, the problem we have is with the network configuration.
> This is configured in ldap, and used both by puppet (using a n external
> script) and cobbler.  Last one retrieves all interfaces and mac-addresses,
> and uses this in the autoyast file to populate the udev rules correctly.

Ok, this is a bit clearer to me now.  I think what you're saying is that
other than the custom facts you are working on, the nodes rely directly on
LDAP only for their cobbler-managed initial provisioning.  If that's the
case then it tells me that the LDAP data do not, in fact, belong to the
nodes, but rather to the site generally.

With that being the case, it does not make much sense to me for the nodes
to play an intermediary role in providing that data to the master, unless
possibly there is an insurmountable barrier to the master retrieving the
data directly.

There is a separate question however: are you trying to find the parameters
the nodes *should* have (for which LDAP is authoritative) or the parameters
the nodes actually *do* have (which can be provided only by the nodes).  If
the latter, then the nodes would not be acting as intermediaries when they
provided the data to the master, as they would need to get it by
self-inspection, not LDAP.

>> Now, since the puppetmaster has also access to the ldap server, I'm
>> thinking to move the custom facts to a function, so it runs on the
>> puppetmaster only, end not on every node.
>>
>>  [...]
>
> I think you gave me a third option in getting this data available :
>
> 1 - custom facts
> 2 - functions
> 3 - patching the ldap enc, to retrieve the complete subtree
>
> ha, maybe a forth ?
>
> 4 - Hiera custom ldap backend ?

I think an LDAP back end for hiera might fit very nicely into your
picture.  I doubt it would be much harder to create than the custom facts
or custom function(s) you are already contemplating, and it would provide
great abstraction and flexibility.

> Somehow, I will have to provide proper providers and types also.  (based
> on  http://forge.puppetlabs.com/adrien/network as an example)
>
> This is a very specific setup, that maybe could have been implemented on a
> better way, but for now we have to live with it.

Since the objective seems to be for the master to instruct agents how to
configure the correct network parameters on each node, I'd say that the
data flow
    LDAP -> master -> agent
makes far more sense than
    LDAP -> agent -> master -> agent