You should be able to cluster Tomcat without using multicast by having a
static members list with TCP pings to check the cluster nodes. You could of
course use exported resources to create the static members list.

Not sure about Glassfish but I'd expect it to be possible to do something
similar as Weblogic allows the use of unicast instead of multicast for
static clusters.

  - Keith