With PuppetDB >1.1 it is now possible to use exported resources when
running puppet apply [1], though of course this still means having a
central PuppetDB. This is not relevant for a single machine setup though,
as you say.

  - Keith

[1] http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppetdb/1.3/connect_puppet_apply.html