Hi all,

I am going to have a meeting to sell the idea of retrofitting Puppet to a
fleet of already-built legacy Unix systems to a skeptical management (as
opposed to only using it to build new linux systems, where I don't need to
sell the idea).

Here, "legacy Unix" means AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, and various versions of
Linux.  Much of the work is already done as far as deployment to these
platforms is concerned, so the difficulty of compiling Ruby, etc, on
Platform X version Y doesn't need to be considered.

I see the following benefits:

1)  Having facter on every computer in the company is good.
2)  Having MCollective replace your for loops everywhere is good.
3)  Being able to standardise configuration of some simple services, e.g.
NTP, root's profile, etc., is better than not having standardised these
services.
4)  Any services that you can migrate into Puppet become visible in Puppet
manifests, which is always better than documentation in a Wiki, which may
or may not be up to date.

Being more ambitious, I am thinking that with MCollective, it might be
possible to use Puppet to install patches etc. on legacy systems.  Maybe
even possible, with a lot of effort, to fully automate the patching of
everything, and have the change management system automatically updated as
well.

Any/all ideas/criticisms are appreciated.  I have one week to write the
proposal.

Thanks in advance.
Alex