+1 for create_resources. I use it on 2.7 without storeconfigs, and it doesn't
involve hiera at all. I just declare $modulename::data = [ {.....}]
and feed that into
a resource with:

create_resources(resourcename, $modulename::data)

One gotcha: this is a function (essentially a macro that expands into
a load of resource definitions
before they get sent down to the node) - so if you make any typos etc.
it won't be obvious on
the puppet reports. the master should log errors that'll help you
debug it, though.