The standard provider doesn't work with packages that have multiple origins
(the apache ports for instance) because the package name doesn't match was
is recorded in the package database. So, what will happen is that puppet
will think the package isn't installed on every run and attempt to install
it.

The only sane way around that was to use the package origin as a key and
duplicated the '-r' functionality in the provider; this is what the patch
does. Passing '-f' to pkg_add was questionable, but I remember there being
problems without it.