On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 6:33 AM, Félix Barbeira <fbarbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking in security terms, could be masterless puppet configuration less
> secure? I mean, the puppet code is in *all* the clients. On the other hand,
> the puppet code is only in the master, which I think is more secure (you
> can isolate it on a restricted VLAN, private network, etc). If the security
> of one client is vulnerated the hacker gets nothing, otherwise he would be
> able to read the whole puppet code.

The difference is minimal. The master will happily serve any config to any
host. The puppet server relies on the self-reported hostname, so a
compromised host can go "fishing" for configurations.

In my git-as-a-master configurations I use ssh to connect to the master.

Yes, all hosts using the same master see the "full" set of configs.

If I ever have a clearly separate security domain of sorts, plan would be
to set up a separate git master. I think that makes sense too with a puppet
master.

cheers,

 martin.langh...@gmail.com
 -  ask interesting questions