Hi Derek,

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM, derek murphy <derek.mur...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have a weird issue.  I'm using puppet 3.2.3 and I have a simple module
> to install an msi (module below).
>
> If I run manually (from the start menu, or cmd using puppet agent - it
> works fine and installs.  If I let the 30 minute scheduled run happen - I
> get "Storage to process this request is not available".

I think this is related to running the service as LocalSystem, but trying
to access the network, since the service attempts to make an anonymous SMB
connection. Does it work if you change the `source` parameter to a local
drive?

If that works, then I would create a domain service account, add it as a
member of the local Administrators group, and configure the puppet service
to run as that user. Or alternatively change the permissions on the remote
share.

> Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this?  I don't see too much on
> the net about it and for the life of me can't figure it out.
> On a side note - every puppet run also seems to install notepad++ again (I
> get a Package[np]/ensure: created - which also isn't ideal as it makes this
> system always be in a changed state.

See http://docs.puppetlabs.com/windows/writing.html#packagepackage. The
name of the resource needs to match the DisplayName specified in the
registry.

> Any help people can give is appreciated.
>
> class wintest {
>
>   if ($operatingsystem == 'windows') {
>
>     package { 'np':
>
>       ensure => installed,
>
>       source => '\\files\Software\temp\npp.6.3.2.installer.msi',
>
>       #provider => windows
>
>     }
>
>   }
>
>   else {
>
>     fail('This module is only supported on Windows')
>
>   }
>
> }

Josh Cooper
Developer, Puppet Labs

*Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
http://bit.ly/pupconf13