So I have done a full os install using baremetal on a seemingly harder
platform- windows.

https://github.com/rismoney/puppet-baremetal-windows

Now windows has a lot of nuances so it should be easier in theory to do
something similar starting from *nix.

In essence I use a linux pxe server to boot a live image of an os with puppet
installed, and then all the config is deployed to get endpoint to make it as
expected.  Based on a facter fact I know my host is in build mode or not.

Its awesome and a build takes 20 min with no razor, only pure puppet, as all
build config is backed in hiera.  Most of the repo is dedicated to
reproducability of the entire solution whereas the execution a puppet code is
relatively small to make the os how I want it.