Thanks for the reference, John.

We need to ensure that these remote mounts are owned/grouped by specific
UID/GID -- hence why I had ownership involved there.   We could do this via
UID/GID only (not name) if that works better?   I don't understand how
apply that ownership to /home/201301 would affect / or /home.

Then, Puppet would need to check that it's present, has the correct
permissions and owership, and ensure it's mounted -- or, in the case of
aged data, not mounted and not present.

Thanks.