On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:08:10 AM UTC-5, jcbollinger wrote:

> I'm not saying that categorically getting rid of ::params classes is a
> viable target.  In fact, I don't really understand why it was ever an
> objective in the first place.  On the other hand, I don't see why it makes
> sense for Puppet to give special significance to that pattern, either.  A
> more general data-in-modules feature such as I describe would give users
> the option to avoid ::params classes in some cases, and I'm inclined to
> think that it would be easier to implement, to understand, and to use.
>

> John

I agree with this. It seems the proposed new solution adds complexity and
non-intuitive value lookups that could confuse users.  I think the
data-in-modules feature sounds useful.  Perhaps as John suggests a change
in scope is needed.  Instead of getting rid of params.pp the scope should
be to move hierarchical data out of params.pp and leave variables derived
from logic in params.pp.