On Fri, 2013-12-06 at 11:31 -0500, Jerald Sheets wrote:

> Please note that the exact same documentation is expected to be used
> for either and people spending crap-tons of money are expected to put
> up with the same issues.  This is not a licensed/open source
> argument.  This is a "do a better job of documentation" argument.
>

> I shouldn't have to go hunt down other admins in my town to learn
> things with/from because none of us can make sense of the
> documentation...or its wrong... or it ignores systems or development
> best practices, or whatever your particular gripe may be.
>

> Puppet is the best there is, but it (and its docs) can be better.

This feels like it's a very negative discussion and I wanted to
highlight my own experiences with Puppetlabs.

Puppetlabs make their money in part from their excellent additions to
the open source version (which makes deployment a bunch easier), but
also from paid support engagements - if someone wants to pay them to
update the docs for the open source parts, they will.  If not then we
either wait for them to get the time to do so, or we submit a pull
request.  We're not talking about a company the size of Google here,
Puppetlabs doesn't have large bunches of cash to throw around, and my
overall experience of the Puppet documentation has been excellent.  The
particular page in the bug report was extremely helpful when I started
out with Puppet.

I'd be keen to see more examples and helpful tutorials, but that's not
core product documentation - the actual reference documentation on the
puppetlabs site is bang up to date, complete, and way beyond the level
of documentation available for many other products that sell for big
money.  And even better, if that's not enough the source is very
readable and well commented.

There are several areas in the documentation where gaps exist, and I
commend Puppetlabs for highlighting these and over time filling them in.
The product is still in active development and over time just gets
better and better.