You should structure your exec resource in such a way that it only runs
if necessary. Parameters you may want to use: onlyif, unless, creates.
Either of those can be of use here.

For what it's worth, this sounds as if you're trying to use puppet for
monitoring a file. This might be valid, but please note that a dedicated
monitoring tool such as Icinga may be more appropriate.

HTH,
Felix