Hi,

you both raise a couple of good points.

All things considered, I lean towards John's point of view. There's much
to say for on-demand compilation.

- resource use scales with number of agents
- scaling can be influenced via intervals
- admins can predict the need for recompilation and trivially schedule
it by having agents check in

Yes, there can be peak load when many agents check in during a short
interval. I can't really see a way around that. I would consider it more
problematic to make it impossible to trigger a couple of quick
recompilations for a large number of nodes (think ad hoc changes to
larger cluster or cloud).

Cheers,
Felix