Hey all,

 I made a little progress. Turns out that my directory structure under the
'rack' directory may have been contributing to some of the problems I had
been facing.

Originally I had

[root@puppet:/etc/puppet] #tree rack/
rack/
    ├── tmp
    ├── public
    └── puppetmasterd
           └── config.ru

 But then I changed it to the following:

[root@puppet:/etc/puppet] #tree rack/
rack/
└── puppetmasterd
    ├── config.ru
    ├── public
    └── tmp
        └── restart.txt

All owned by puppet:puppet.

Then I restarted apache and now the error I get is the following:

[root@puppet:/etc/puppet] #puppet agent --test
Warning: Unable to fetch my node definition, but the agent run will
continue:
Warning: Error 400 on SERVER: cannot generate tempfile
`/var/lib/puppet/yaml/node/puppet.jokefire.com.yaml20140207-22853-vkj608-9'
Info: Loading facts in /etc/puppet/modules/epel/lib/facter/os_maj_version.rb
Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
cannot generate tempfile
`/var/lib/puppet/yaml/facts/puppet.jokefire.com.yaml20140207-22853-lv2ym0-9'
Warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
Error: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run

Which from the output I would think would be incorrect ownership of the
/var/lib/puppet/yaml/node and the /var/lib/puppet/yaml/facts directories.

But those directories both have puppet:puppet ownership:

[root@puppet:/etc/puppet] #ls -l /var/lib/puppet | grep yaml | grep -v
client
drwxr-x---  5 puppet puppet 4096 Feb  6 23:35 yaml

[root@puppet:/etc/puppet] #ls -l /var/lib/puppet/yaml/ | grep node
drwxr-xr-x 2 puppet puppet 4096 Feb  7 04:06 node

So I could use some help on how to resolve this error.

Enclosing debug output for further reference in case that will help.

Thanks
Tim