On Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:17:00 PM UTC-6, Kyle Flavin wrote:

> I put this up on the Puppet Ask forum as well.  Hopefully the duplication
> isn't a big deal, I've been struggling to come up with a good solution to
> this.
>
> I'm attempting to migrate a puppet environment from Puppet 2.6 to Puppet
> 2.7.  My plan for doing this is to install a new Puppet 2.7 master, point
> the 2.6 clients to this new master, and then later update the 2.6 clients
> over a period of time.
>
> However, I'm running into an issue due to the way our external node
> classifier works.  The node classifier returns a number of classes for each
> host.  These classes may or may not be defined in puppet manifests.  In
> 2.6, puppet just ignored any classes that were not recognized.

Really?  I never knew that.  What a nasty bug.

>   In 2.7, the client errors out and fails to pull down any of its
> configuration, even from classes that are defined.  From reading the forums
> and bug reports, it appears that this new behavior is by design.  My
> question then is, is there any way to revert to the previous behavior?

Not to my knowledge.  The behavior you are trying to get is buggy and
inconsistent.  The master will not provide a partial catalog when catalog
compilation fails, in part because it has no way to know whether *any* of
it is right.  For instance, some part of the catalog that failed
compilation could have been intended to override another part that was
successfully compiled.

> It is not possible at this time to change the way our ENC works.  My
> workaround will be to identify all undefined classes, and define them as
> empty classes in a puppet manifest.  This is not ideal because new
> undefined classes can be introduced by our ENC as we deploy new machines.
> So it would be an ongoing maintenance process.

I feel badly for you that you are stuck in a poor situation.  I can only
suggest that you come up with a way to automate the dummy class generation
you propose.  Perhaps the ENC could even be made to do that itself.

John