Hello John,

Thank you for the suggestions.  You were correct it was related to the
'ensure' property.

I discovered the actual cause of the problem to be fuse and symlink
weirdness present in the latest version of Proxmox cluster.  It appears
that Puppet first creates a temp file and then moves it to this
Proxmox-managed, fuse location.  This move failed because of permission
problems.  This problem did not exist in the previous version of Proxmox
when configured as a cluster.

My debug approach was to manually reproduce Puppet's behavior, but first I
had to realize that Puppet creates a file in /tmp and then moves it to the
desired location. Creating the file inside the fuse-symlinked directory
worked normally.

The workaround was to puppet-manage the files in a regular directory and
then use an 'exec' resource to copy (not move) the file to its final
location.  The new define includes a 'proxmox_workaround' flag to handle
this special case.  I updated the wiki page to show this workaround:

http://jaroker.org/technical_notes/issues/software/puppet/start

Regards,
Jon

Jon Jaroker