Hey guys,

 I've actually found the problem. It turns out that I thought I had defined
the "munin-node" package definition in my install.pp (munin::install)
manifest. Turns out I only had defined the "munin" package which takes care
of all the dependencies for it.

Here's my main class in init.pp:

class munin {

   include munin::install, munin::config, munin::service

}

And this is my install class (install.pp):

class munin::install {

      package { "munin":
        ensure => present,

And I removed the 'include munin::install' definition in the service.pp (
munin::service) module. And because I'm chaining the sub-classes in init.pp
it all seems to work just fine.

Thanks for the opinions and commentary. All very valuable!

Cheers!
Tim

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:36 AM, jcbollinger <john.bollin...@stjude.org>wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:30:44 AM UTC-6, Jose Luis Ledesma wrote:
>>
>> Although it is not incorrect, you should not bypass class boundaries, so
>> it's better:
>>
>> require=>Class['munin::install']
>>

> Well, that's one school of thought.  Personally, I don't have any problem
> with cross-class relationships within the same module, as the OP's appears
> to be.  In fact, I'd be willing to accept any cross-class relationship at
> all, provided that the class and module of the relationship target
> *document* the target as being declared by the module and available for
> such use.  (But no one does that.)
>

>> And usually you may include the diferent classes for a module in init.pp
>> chaining them there.
>>

> Yes, that's a common approach, though one should be clear that it's not
> simply init.pp where the class and relationship declarations reside in that
> case.  Rather, such declarations would go in a module main class (in this
> case, Class['munin']) within init.pp.  Also, that class needs to be
> declared in that case.  Its mere existence is not sufficient.
>
> Anyway, there should be no declarations in any init.pp but outside any
> class, definition, or node block.  In fact, that applies to almost every
> manifest anywhere in your manifest set.
>

> John
>
>  --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/9c5391f9-cca5-4b7c-b33f-f3cb488e305a%40googlegroups.com