Use virtual users.

Instead of declaring your users as 'real', add a @ in front of them. Now
they are virtual so they aren't automatically created by Puppet, you need
to explicitly realise them, for example based on a tag or group they're a
member in.

You can do it along the lines of:
Users <| tag == 'dev' }> on a development machine and Users <||> if you
want them all.

See:
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/lang_virtual.html
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/lang_collectors.html