Hi Patrick,

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Patrick Auld <patr...@patrickauld.com>wrote:

> I installed Puppet 3.5.1 on Windows 7 from the MSI. I've run a few 'puppet
> apply' commands and things appear to be working. We are not using a master
> node for our current use case so I haven't set one up. The Windows Puppet
> service is also disabled. When I try to install a module from the Forge I
> get this SSL error:
>
> Error: Could not connect via HTTPS to https://forge.puppetlabs.com
>   Unable to verify the SSL certificate
>     The certificate may not be signed by a valid CA
>     The CA bundle included with OpenSSL may not be valid or up to date
>
> I haven't touched any of the puppet conf yet. Is a master node required to
> install modules? I'm still getting started but from what I've read it does
> not, so I'm a little unsure if this is an error in from MSI or if action is
> required on my part. Thanks in advance.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/57e030f9-1fe0-40fd-a879-9c72c138cc35%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/57e030f9-1fe0-40fd-a879-9c72c138cc35%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Due to the heartbleed vulnerability we obtained new SSL certificates for
all SSL web servers and services. Previously, our certificate was issued by
GeoTrust, but the new one is issued from UserTrustNetwork. Unfortunately,
the new CA is not trusted by Windows out of the box, nor when running
Windows update to install the latest cert bundle. We are working on
obtaining a new SSL certificate for the forge.

In the meantime, you can manually install the UserTrustNetwork CA into your
Windows root certificate store. We do something similar during acceptance
testing:

https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/master/acceptance/setup/git/pre-suite/070_InstalCACerts.rb#L62-L65

Make sure to verify the certificate prior to installing it due to the
security implications.

Josh

--
Josh Cooper
Developer, Puppet Labs

*Join us at PuppetConf 2014 <http://www.puppetconf.com/>, September
22-24 in San Francisco*
*Register by May 30th to take advantage of the Early Adopter discount
<http://links.puppetlabs.com/puppetconf-early-adopter> **—**save $349!*