On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:45:03 AM UTC-5, Andre Nathan wrote:

> what can I do about the nodes? The new feature of setting the manifest to
> a directory does not support subdirectories. Will I be forced to have all
> my nodes in the same directory and then rely on file names for
> organization? This is far from optimal in my opinion. What other
> alternatives do I have? If at all possible, I'd like to avoid using ENCs
> and keep using puppet files for node definitions.

You can continue to use import for the time being, as deprecation is not
the same as deletion.  Meanwhile, you can file a feature request for
recursive traversal of the manifest directory, or for Puppet to support
multiple manifest directories for a single environment.

Alternatively, you can coalesce each of your nodes/ subdirectories into a
single file in the main manifest directory (e.g. webserver.pp containing
your webserver base node plus all of your webN nodes).  That will leave you
with a logical organization pretty similar to what you have now, and it
won't clash with your local classes because you'll be moving those to
modules (where really they should have been already).

Or you could move away from node blocks toward node classes, which would
then be organized in a module instead of in your manifest directory.  There
would be no particular reason to have any node blocks at all in that case;
you could instead assign node classes via a top-level case statement or via
hiera (or, indeed, via a simple ENC).

John