The validate_db_connection would come from
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-postgresql#resource-postgresqlvalidate_db_connection
which is declared by the postgresql::server -> postgresql::server::service
class
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-postgresql/blob/master/manifests/server/service.pp#L29
. The exec is
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-postgresql/blob/master/manifests/validate_db_connection.pp#L51

So it appears that the service tries to start but isn't accepting
connections via the psql command? There isn't enough information in the
pasted errors to tell why though. One thing that is weird is the "-h  -U
 -p  " arguments with double spaces, indicating that a
hostname/user/password is blan, so that might be why (even though this code
is supposed to guard against it
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-postgresql/blob/master/manifests/validate_db_connection.pp#L23-L34
).

What version of puppetlabs-postgresql is this?

-Hunter