On 05/09/14 16:04, R.I.Pienaar wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Gazeley" <jonathan.gaze...@bristol.ac.uk>
To: "puppet-users" <puppet-users@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, September 5, 2014 3:59:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Puppet Users] --configprint
On 05/09/14 15:02, R.I.Pienaar wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Gazeley" <jonathan.gaze...@bristol.ac.uk>
To: "puppet-users" <puppet-users@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, September 5, 2014 2:53:27 PM
Subject: [Puppet Users] --configprint
Hi peeps,

I've just noticed that "puppet agent --configprint runinterval" is not
doing what I expect. Why does it misreport the environment? The node is
indeed checking into the netops environment.

[jg4461@web-team-dev ~]$ puppet agent --configprint environment
production
Try it as root.

OK, that gives the expected output. My question is based on this custom
fact:

https://gist.github.com/hunner/1989071

MCollective caches the fact as non-root and so I am unable to match on
environment when using mco.
Use the preferred method where in a manifest you dump out the facts to a yaml
file for mcollective to use.
I'm using puppetlabs-mcollective to configure our MCollective bits. Basically a completely stock installation, and facts.yaml is written out each puppet run. However it includes the environment you expect when not running as root.

the method you posted there won't work reliably anymore as the node isnt the
only thing in charge of its environment - the master and ENC can now override
it.
OK. We are not using master or ENC environment setting yet. Would this custom fact work any better?

Facter.add("environment) do
setcode do
  Puppet[:environment]
end