Jose, thank you for the reply.

Yes, I understand all those commands. Oh, so you are saying I can use mco
to temporarily stop my puppet agent when I need to do mco runonce and then
start it back. Good idea!

 But what is the answer to my question:

Can I have both puppet agent running (so that it can retrieve/apply the
catalog as runinterval scheduled) and at same time run "mco puppet runonce"
to push configuration change to multiple machines? Now I can't, I always
get daemon running error.
What is the correct mco command to run to achieve my purpose?

If that's not possible, should I stop puppet agent entirely so that I can
run mco puppet runone successfully, and setup a cron job to start puppet
agent as the runinterval scheduled?
What will not happen if puppet agent is stopped entirely? It won't retrieve
and apply catalog, right? No sending report to puppet master?

thanks,
Stella