I am using this in a puppet post run command to upload the facts that
changed after the puppet run.

I have run into this problem on many occasions where I like to build a
custom UI around displaying custom facts.

Because facts only get uploaded to puppetdb before the puppet agent runs so
there has always been a delay of one puppet run in realizing what the
environment actually looks like.

So to fix this we used the puppet facts upload functionality.  There are
many custom facts that interact with the software that puppet was deploying.

So in a way we are using facts outside of puppet but we are using
puppetdb's REST API to retrieve those facts and display to our developers.

Basically we use facts as infrastructure metadata that we can display to
our developers and devops team to make informed decisions about what's
deployed where
and who broke the environment by showing latest git revisions of the
deployed code.

If you would like to talk further about this please reach out to me via
email.

Corey