I tend to create a directory with a minimal class /etc/puppet/deployfiles
and then another class for custom apt stuff and I have a file in
modules/apt/files where cron does a date thingy (/bin/date >
/etc/puppet/modules/apt/files/apt_update_time) and then I have this module
watch for a change which notifies an Exec in my apt module to trigger an
apt-get update. It's convoluted but it works. Similarly I have an
apt_upgrade_time file too but I don't have a cron job updating that one - I
just run the date command manually to get machines to perform the apt-get
upgrade but I do have machines run apt-get update daily triggered by the
updated file from cron.