The answer may actually depend on the OS you are using but I agree with
John that this actually requires 2 separate directives...

On a Red Hat system...

# cat /etc/default/useradd
# useradd defaults file
GROUP=100
HOME=/home
INACTIVE=-1
EXPIRE=
SHELL=/bin/bash
SKEL=/etc/skel
CREATE_MAIL_SPOOL=yes

the /home/$USER would have 755 permissions by default though you could use
puppet to ensure that if a $USER changes his $HOME directory permissions,
they are changed back.
Likewise, you could set /home to 750 permissions to ensure that any changes
are overridden. Obviously if you set /home to 750 permissions, then the
'group' would have to be set to a group that all users belong to so there's
something lacking in the question (i.e. 'users' on a Red Hat system).