El 11/03/15 a las 14:26, Alessandro Franceschi escribió:
I agree with what you wrote.
Puppet is not the best tool to execute one-shot operations like patching
or deploying of applications.
It's good at maintaining the state of the resources of our systems, so
you can use it to configure what you need to manage the patching or the
deployment of a system's package or an application (apt/yum config
files, deploy scripts, ssh keys, sudo permissions... ), but not to
trigger the operation itself.

Although I agree with Alessandro about puppet is not the best solution to run one-shoe operations, we are using it to patch a few exceptional case where we need that some files (installed from a package which is installed from puppet).

The advantage of this is that you can develop a new machine a ensure that it is in the correct state with no extra effort.

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática