Hi all,

I'm working on an environment and encounter the same issue I have
encountered a couple of times before. This'll be a bit of a long one, so
brace yourselves ;)

Situation:
We have a large managed hosting enterprise organisation where we're
implementing puppet.The tooling team develops and maintains a set of puppet
modules for usage by the infracoders. The infracoders write hiera databases
and do classification which needs to move through a normal DTAP workflow.
We'll refer to these as puppet environments.

The customers though maintain their servers also in DTAP: some of the
webservers are in testing, others are in production. From a puppet
perspective though, these machines are all in production. So far so good,
so what's the challenges? We'll refer to these as customer environments

Challenges:
* different module versions on different customer environments. When a new
version of the apache module becomes available from the tooling team, the
infracoders might not want to use it straight on production
* if there needs to be a change on a server in the customer environment
Acceptance, do we go through puppet DTAP for Customer environments DT also?
That depends on wether this customer wants that change in their D and T
environments
* if there needs to be a change across all servers, how does this flow
through puppet DTAP and customer DTAP?
* rights: some admins can only have rights to change things on the customer
DTA, but not P. They need to go through a senior engineer for that.

Solution:
We've so far settled on this:
* having 4 hiera git repo's per customer, where their D systems live in the
D hiera repository. main reasons are:
** we want to have different puppet module versions per DTAP stage in a
customer environment
** junior offshore admins cannot edit or even see systems/configs in the
customer environment production
** a system that is a live system for a customer has the puppet environment
set to production, regardless of wether the customer runs it in their DTA
or P environment. The infracoders move hiera/puppet code through puppet
environments DT and A within for instance the T hiera git repo.

How do others solve this problem? Insights more then welcome :)

cheers,

Walter