On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 2:43 AM, Richard Wales <richard.wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Apparently PC1 is available on Debian Jessie now. Unfortunately, I can't get
> it to work. I've attached a vagrant file to facilitate reproduction (remove
> the .txt extension that I had to add to upload it).
>
> Here are the relevant commands I am running (as per the docs at
> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/install_linux.html ):
>
> # wget https://apt.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-pc1-jessie.deb
> # dpkg -i puppetlabs-release-pc1-jessie.deb
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get install puppetserver -y # This fails

We have puppet-agent packages available for Debian Jessie, but not
Puppet Server packages[1]. Those should be available with the next
Puppet Server release. So, you can't yet run Debian Jessie as a
master, but you can run it as an agent with the puppet-agent package
against a master on a different platform.

[1] - http://apt.puppetlabs.com/pool/jessie/PC1/p/

> The bottom line is the new packages aren't available; only the old (puppet
> 3.7.x packages). Can anyone shed any light? Where am I going wrong guys?
>
> Cheers,
> Richard
>
> P.S. Here are some diagnostic commands for the curious:
>
> # apt-cache search puppet | grep ^puppet
>
> ==> default: puppet - configuration management system, agent
>
> ==> default: puppet-common - configuration management system
>
> ==> default: puppet-el - syntax highlighting for puppet manifests in emacs
>
> ==> default: puppet-testsuite - configuration management system, development
> test suite
>
> ==> default: puppetmaster - configuration management system, master service
>
> ==> default: puppetmaster-common - configuration management system, master
> common files
>
> ==> default: puppetmaster-passenger - configuration management system,
> scalable master service
>
> ==> default: puppet-lint - check puppet manifests for style guide conformity
>
> ==> default: puppet-module-puppetlabs-apache - Puppet module for apache
>
> ==> default: puppet-module-puppetlabs-apt - Puppet module for apt
>
> ==> default: puppet-module-puppetlabs-concat - Puppet module for concat
>
> ==> default: puppet-module-puppetlabs-firewall - Puppet module for Firewall
> management
>
> ==> default: puppet-module-puppetlabs-inifile - Puppet module for ini files
>
> ==> default: puppet-module-puppetlabs-mysql - Puppet module for mysql
>
> ==> default: puppet-module-puppetlabs-ntp - Puppet module for ntp
>
> ==> default: puppet-module-puppetlabs-postgresql - Puppet module for
> PostgreSQL database
>
> ==> default: puppet-module-puppetlabs-stdlib - Puppet module standard
> library
>
> ==> default: puppet-module-puppetlabs-xinetd - Puppet module for xinetd
>
> ==> default: puppet-module-saz-memcached - Puppet module for memcached
>
> ==> default: puppetlabs-release-pc1 - Release packages for the Puppet Labs
> PC1 repository
>
> ==> default: puppet-agent - The Puppet Agent package contains all of the
> elements needed to run puppet, including ruby, facter, hiera and
> mcollective.
>

> # uname -a
>
> ==> default: Linux test 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1
> (2015-05-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> # cat /etc/os-release
>
> ==> default: PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
>
> ==> default: NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
>
> ==> default: VERSION_ID="8"
>
> ==> default: VERSION="8 (jessie)"
>
> ==> default: ID=debian