On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 7:25:09 AM UTC-5, Alexander Dacre wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going through an initial deployment of Puppet and was looking to use
> hiera as much as possible, but it seems that many existing modules do not
> have hiera support.
>
> The question I have is, is it 'OK' to have some bits of configuration for
> a node defined in hiera, and others in site.pp?

What do you mean about existing modules not having Hiera support?  Modules
do not need special support for Hiera because *every* parameterized class's
parameters can be provided via Hiera.  This is Puppet's automatic data
binding feature, and it is by far the most common way that Hiera is used.
It is the only way that parameterized classes' parameters should be
assigned from outside their modules.

It is also possible for DSL code to perform explicit data lookups, in which
case a module might document specific Hiera keys (different from those
corresponding to class parameters) by which module users can provide data.
This is not much done any more, however.

John