Hello,

we tried to today to migrate our Puppet Masters from Apache/Passenger to Puppet
Server 1.1.1.
However, Puppet Server just dies with error messages as soon as we increase the
number of JRuby instances to >24 and a JVM heapsize of > 16GB.

During startup of Puppet Server, it starts to spawn the JRuby instances one
after another and around ~8 instances an exception is logged:
2015-08-25 10:25:05,676 INFO  [puppet-server] Puppet Puppet settings
initialized; run mode: master
2015-08-25 10:25:06,254 INFO  [p.s.j.jruby-puppet-agents] Finished creating
JRubyPuppet instance 7 of 32
2015-08-25 10:25:08,567 ERROR [p.t.internal] shutdown-on-error triggered
because of exception!
java.lang.IllegalStateException: There was a problem adding a JRubyPuppet
instance to the pool.
Caused by: org.jruby.embed.EvalFailedException: (LoadError) load error:
jopenssl/load -- java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/jruby/ext/openssl/NetscapeSPKI
        at
org.jruby.embed.internal.EmbedEvalUnitImpl.run(EmbedEvalUnitImpl.java:132)
~[puppet-server-release.jar:na]
        at
org.jruby.embed.ScriptingContainer.runUnit(ScriptingContainer.java:1341)
~[puppet-server-release.jar:na]

The full log file is available in this Gist [1].
The log file is from the initial setup with max-active-instances set to 32 and
a JVM heap size of 48gb.
We had a working setup with 16GB Heap and 16 instances. Sometimes 24 worked as
well, but not always.
However, 16 instances will be too small to handle all the Puppet agents.
Increasing the timeout in /etc/sysconfig/puppetserver did not help either.

We use rather beefy HW for our 3x Puppet Masters (2x Dell R715, 1x R815), for
Apache/Passenger this scaled nicely.

The OS on the Puppet Masters is Scientific Linux 6.6 (RHEL 6.6 clone) and
OpenJDK 8 is used.
We tried the Oracle JRE as well, but this did not change anything.
HTTPS is terminated at our F5 Loadbalancer, which forwards the traffic
unencrypted to Puppet Server.

Any help would be appreciated!

[1] https://gist.github.com/stdietrich/5a5b8f9b1dc2445c3ec7

Regards,
Stefan

Stefan Dietrich            Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (IT-Systems)
                        Ein Forschungszentrum der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft
                                                            Notkestr. 85
phone:  +49-40-8998-4696                                   22607 Hamburg
e-mail: stefan.dietr...@desy.de                                  Germany