On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 7:08:13 AM UTC-5, Patrick G. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In /etc/puppet/hieradata/users/ I have 2 yaml files.
> For a node I want to merge these files and on the other node only one file.
>
> In the /etc/puppet/enc/nodes/server1.yaml I have:
> ---
> classes:
>   - ssh
> parameters:
>   usergroups:
>     - group1
>     - group2
>
> And on the other node only -group2.
>
> The problem is that the first node is not merging the 2 files.
>
> What am I doing wrong here?

In the first place, Hiera does not merge multiple files from the same
hierarchy level.  For any given lookup it will consider at most one file
from each defined level.

More generally, however, it's unclear to me how you (think you) are
associating Hiera data files with your nodes, or why you expect the results
you do from the configuration difference you describe.  Indeed, it is not
even clear what is the significance of the yaml file you present, though I
think I can guess.

To give you any useful advice, we'll need to see at least your Hiera data
hierarchy (ordinarily described in hiera.yaml), the context in which you
are trying to consume the hiera data (class declaration and class
definition if you are trying to consume the data via automated parameter
binding, or a call to one of the hiera data lookup functions otherwise).
To prevent this from dragging out, please also provide the relevant hiera
data file(s), and tell us what data you expected / wanted to retrieve, why
you expected that, and what data hiera actually provided.

John