Oh hey, this package debacle is totally true. Confirmed it myself for EL6:

https://gist.github.com/kbarber/b0551d9aaffe2302a8dc

I've raised a bug on this with our release team, thanks.

As far as why there is a 40? I can't come up with another logical
explanation except for, at one point 3.2.3 was installed. We didn't
add a schema migration 40 anywhere else. Unless someone else added it,
or something else added it. If you don't think it was an accidental
package update, I'd double check the integrity of your database,
rather - if the package didn't do it, then I wouldn't trust the schema
to be in a good state.

In particular, check these function indexes were created using the
proper encoding, else performance is going to be slow:

https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetdb/blob/3.2.3/src/puppetlabs/puppetdb/scf/migrate.clj#L1492-L1507

ken.