I'm stepping through "Puppet for Containerization
<http://proquest.safaribooksonline.com.ezproxy.spl.org:2048/book/software-engineering-and-development/deployment/9781785883286>".

The very first exercise fails to start up the docker service, apparently
because of an invalid command-line option ("-d") sent to docker in the
systemd service description.  This is being done by the "garethr/docker"
Puppet module from the forge. I determined that this was happening because
the exercise was specifying a somewhat older version of the module, and
simply changing the Puppetfile to use the newer version fixed the problem.
Apparently this option used to be valid in an older version of docker, but
had since been removed.

It occurred to me that this situation likely happened because the Puppet
module was written a while ago, and it likely just specified to install the
latest version of docker.

What I'd like to understand, at least in the scope of this particular
module (https://github.com/garethr/garethr-docker), and perhaps in general,
what exactly is a "best practice" for specifying an exact version of a
dependency to install, as I likely wouldn't have seen this error if the
module installed a specific version of Docker that this was known to work
with.

I did search through the code of the module, but although seeing that
perhaps
https://github.com/garethr/garethr-docker/blob/f1f701c5d4845c6dbb85d817d99a4cf9b0c2edae/manifests/params.pp

is where this might go, I didn't see a clear answer for how this might have
been changed to do that.

Just so it's clear, I'm not suggesting that this change should be made in
this particular module, but if I did have a module that had to work with a
particular version of one or more dependencies, understanding how this
module would be changed to effect that might be a good guide in the future.