I disagree, the way it works breaks basic logic.
With the == case, if the property is an array type, the code will only 
return objects that contain the term.
The != case only checks for equality, regardless of the object type. It 
*should*, in my opinion, follow basic negation rules and do the opposite of 
the == case. We should get back objects that dont equal or contain the term.

That makes sense and follows all the normal behaviour you should expect 
from searching through objects, array or otherwise.

I have submitted a jira ticket with a pull request if you are interested in 
more detail:
https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-6723

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 11:30:52 PM UTC-7, Johan De Wit wrote:
>
>
>
> -----Original message-----
> *From:* Isaiah Frantz <isaiah...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> *Sent:* Wednesday 21st September 2016 21:35
> *To:* Puppet Users <puppet...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>
> *Subject:* [Puppet Users] resource collector with multiple 'tag !=' test
>
> Hello, 
> I am trying to realize users and am not getting what I expect with 
> multiple != test.
> Here is a simplified version that I have tested with puppet gem 4.2.2 and 
> 4.6.2 (results were the same for all tests):
> cat t.ppt.pp (common to all tests): 
> @notify {'This is a test 1':
>         tag => 'one'
> }
> @notify {'This is a test 2':
>         tag => 'two'
> }
> @notify {'This is a test 3':
>         tag => ['one', 'two']
> }
> @notify {'This is a test 4':
>         tag => 'three'
> }
> Notify <| test_goes_here |>
>
> First 3 expected:
> tail -1 t.pp 
> Notify <| tag == 'one' or tag == 'two' |>
>
> puppet apply t.pp 
> Notice: Compiled catalog for defiant.cequintecid.com in environment 
> production in 0.70 seconds
> Notice: This is a test 1
> Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 1]/message: defined 
> 'message' as 'This is a test 1'
> Notice: This is a test 2
> Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 2]/message: defined 
> 'message' as 'This is a test 2'
> Notice: This is a test 3
> Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 3]/message: defined 
> 'message' as 'This is a test 3'
> Notice: Applied catalog in 0.02 seconds
>
>
> Test 3 only, as expected:
> tail -1 t.pp 
> Notify <| tag == 'one' and tag == 'two' |>
>
> puppet apply t.pp 
> Notice: Compiled catalog for defiant.cequintecid.com in environment 
> production in 0.47 seconds
> Notice: This is a test 3
> Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 3]/message: defined 
> 'message' as 'This is a test 3'
> Notice: Applied catalog in 0.02 seconds
>
> Now we get to the '!=' tests.
> with a single tag it works as expected so I wont take space here to show 
> that.
> With multiple tags, it does not work as expected
>
> Since tags is a hash that contains lots of things, including all explicit 
> tag's set on a resource. The == and != operators are supposed to act like 
> contains and !contains functions (or so I thought)
> Here I expect to only get test 4. 1 and 2 are filtered because one of the 
> and'ed tests is false.
> 3 should fail too because both test are false: tags contains both 'one' 
> and 'two'. 
> tail -1 t.pp 
> Notify <| tag != 'one' and tag != 'two' |>
>
> puppet apply t.pp 
> Notice: Compiled catalog for defiant.cequintecid.com in environment 
> production in 0.48 seconds
> Notice: This is a test 3
> Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 3]/message: defined 
> 'message' as 'This is a test 3'
> Notice: This is a test 4
> Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 4]/message: defined 
> 'message' as 'This is a test 4'
> Notice: Applied catalog in 0.01 seconds
>
>
> Frankly, I also expect that 3 should be filtered from the or version too 
> because neither of the tests should be true if this is a contains function 
> and not one that tests against each hash value.
> tail -1 t.pp                                                               
>                                                   
> Notify <| tag != 'one' or tag != 'two' |>
>
> puppet apply t.pp 
> Notice: Compiled catalog for defiant.cequintecid.com in environment 
> production in 0.58 seconds
> Notice: This is a test 1
> Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 1]/message: defined 
> 'message' as 'This is a test 1'
> Notice: This is a test 2
> Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 2]/message: defined 
> 'message' as 'This is a test 2'
> Notice: This is a test 3
> Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 3]/message: defined 
> 'message' as 'This is a test 3'
> Notice: This is a test 4
> Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 4]/message: defined 
> 'message' as 'This is a test 4'
> Notice: Applied catalog in 0.02 seconds
>
>
>
> Two boolean falses dont make a true do they?
> Im confused  :(
>
> The query could be explained as follows :
>
>
> If iether there is a tag that is not 'one', or there is a tag that is not 
> two, then it will be collected.
>
> test1 : tag => one is != two, so that gives us true, and this collected
>
> test2: tag => two is != one, so here also gives us true and thus collected
>
> test3: tag => [ one , two].  as soon as there is one tag in the array that 
> return true, than the resource is collected.  In your case one != two and 
> aslo  two!=one, which makes the rersource collected. 
>
> test4: tag => three differs from both one and two
>
>
> It is clear one needs to be carefull when defining the query in a 
> collector.  Don't assume it works as we are used to work in conditionals as 
> we are used in normal programming.  
>
>
> I hope i didn't confuse too much.
>
>
> Hth
>
>
> johan
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Puppet Users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to puppet-users...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit 
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/e31573bc-b306-482b-bf64-762a0ba9dfca%40googlegroups.com
>  
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/e31573bc-b306-482b-bf64-762a0ba9dfca%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
>
> Upcoming Trainings:
>
> Bacula Training | https://www.open-future.be/calendar
>
> Puppet Training | https://www.open-future.be/calendar
>
> Linux Training | https://www.open-future.be/calendar
>
> Zabbix Training | https://www.open-future.be/calendar
>
> Subscribe to our newsletter: http://eepurl.com/BUG8H
>
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Puppet Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to puppet-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/1663431e-c20a-4e1c-b8be-56f04a53bdb2%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to