On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 4:55:09 AM UTC-4, Fredrik Nilsson wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Andrew, sadly I guess that wont be an option as the
> pain of resigning the actual certificate for erroneous hosts are less the
> re-signing every certificate for all existing hosts. After all we are in
> the process of upgrading to Puppet 4 so hopefully one of the side effects
> of that upgrade is that this error goes away as a part of the process.
> Thanks though, one should always train ones cut'n'paste skills ;-).

If you have an mcollective environment, you could turn on auto-sign, use
mcollective to whack the local ca/host certs, and then use mcollective to
trigger a puppet run (which would auto-request a new certificate).

Since my puppet environment is now 5 years old, I'm experiencing a rolling
expiration of puppet agent certs, and I wrote a script that lives on the
puppet master that checks for impending expirations, and if it finds them,
it runs:

puppet cert clean <hostname>
mco puppet resource exec "rm -rf /var/lib/puppet/ssl/*" -W fqdn=<hostname>
mco puppet runonce -W fqdn=<hostname>
puppet cert sign <hostname>

... there's a bit of a tricky timing issue that (usually) doesn't matter,
since we configure mcollective to actually use the puppet agent's
certificate/key pair.

If you're doing this on Windows, the equivalent powershell-fu shouldn't be
too tough.  You'd probably want to stop the puppet service on the agent,
nuke the certs/keys, and then invoke a single synchronous run of puppet to
request the new certificate.