On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Ugo Bellavance <u...@lubik.ca> wrote:

> However, since I can't put all the settings in hiera, I must put some in
> the class declaration for the smtp frontends.  When I declare the postfix
> class in both my default profile and in the smtp frontend profile, I get an
> error saying that the class cannot be declared twice (Class[Postfix] is
> already declared; cannot redeclare at /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes/
> smtp_postfix_servers.pp:19)
>
> Another solution would be to declare the profile in all my roles, but it's
> far from perfect.
>
> Is there a simple solution?
>
> I guess that I could do an if based on ipaddress in my default profile,
> but I wanted to use hiera as much as possible. Yes I created an issue to
> ask for full hiera support.

I don't really know of a better solution than the ones you mentioned.
Perhaps someone else will. But yeah if you need to apply that class to the
node with a different value for that param, it can't also get applied from
your default profile.

Having to add it to all of the roles is a bit of a pain too. I've been
there. Then the concern is someone leaving it out accidentally.

I like the suggesting of the conditional in the default profile best. It's
maybe not as clean as Hiera but it's less messy than the alternatives I
think, and it should be very visible there.

Rich