There are a lot of very valid issues and concerns you bring up here. I do
want to start by saying, however, that puppet 4 is more than 6 months old -
about 20 months to be precise - and most of the significant language
changes were introduced somewhat earlier in the future parser in puppet 3.
These changes should be easier to take in for sure, but that is at least 3x
more to catch up on. I hope that doesn't sound like a harsh response, but I
think it's more accepted that after 1.5-2 years, most moving projects will
require significant re-learning.

Re: ntp module. Puppet supports a ton of operating systems and most of us
only run a handful. The module is more complex than any one person usually
needs, but it also addresses everyone's needs. From a user perspective,
though, it's pretty simple to just `include ntp` unless you want something
nonstandard. I think most modules are written this way, certainly the best
ones are. Data in modules is an approach to try and reduce the complexity
of the code and retain the support for a wide array of operating systems.
As a fellow module author, I am struggling somewhat with this myself. There
are some good articles about this but I would love to see even more
explanations and examples of how to convert from puppet 3 style to data in
modules, everyone learns differently.

On Travis CI, are you seeing failures related to puppet or dependencies? If
it's ruby, I have many feels that I can't share publicly. But the summary
is, it's a crapshoot what dependency will break today. I've started setting
up Travis Cron Jobs for this, so nightly builds occur before my once a
month PR that goes red. My best suggestion is to take a look at Vox
Pupuli's modulesync configs, or the dynamically generated .travis.yml in a
repo, to keep apprised of what Gemfile settings work. Links:

https://rnelson0.com/2016/12/15/scheduling-regular-travis-ci-builds-with-cron-jobs/
https://github.com/voxpupuli/modulesync_config/blob/d4e999bf434dd220614b80c108f7221eb5f3c1db/config_defaults.yml#L18-L56
https://github.com/voxpupuli/puppet-archive/blob/master/Gemfile

For remote agent runs, I think that is a very interesting idea. While it
has some security implications (agent->master port 8140 vs compile->agent
port 22) and fact collection would not work as-is, it could be very
useful.I wonder if the `puppet device` face could be either adjusted for
that or a base for experimentation?

I tend to agree on difficulties with mcollective as orchestration, but I
haven't found an orchestration tool that has been simple. Ansible has its
issues, too. I just don't think use of another tool is horrible, though.
The combination of modules like puppet_agent to upgrade puppet or other
components on agents and PQL to query puppet and application orchestration
to direct action on PQL results looks to be an appealing combination of
puppet-only tools. I've only gotten to play with the modules portion and
hope to play with PQL and AO soon to see how realistic that assessment is.

If your Travis issues are with puppet itself, can you share some details?