Is there a chance the encoding on the file containing the custom fact
itself is not UTF8? It won't matter if the output is UTF-8 if Puppet can't
parse it to apply the code inside it. `file <filename>` usually starts with
`ASCII` or `UTF-8 Unicode` if it's in the proper format.

Rob Nelson
rnels...@gmail.com