Jason,

Security methodology for DMZs varies quite a bit for different companies.
In some, there are ZERO connections from DMZ to LAN, in others it's just
restricted to acceptable levels of risk. With Puppet, there's no full-blown
Push method I'm aware of that you can use (you could possibly combine some
sort of LAN->DMZ push of code and run `puppet apply` as a scheduled
task/cronjob, but getting code to nodes isn't part of Puppet).

I think the most reasonable compromises that maintain the `puppet agent`
workflow you likely use are either A) placing an additional master in the
DMZ and have the agents connect to it or B) have the agents connect to the
existing master in the LAN on port 8140/tcp. In scenario A, you could push
code to the master through Code Manager (PE) or use r10k to fetch it from
appropriate sources - this would be your one DMZ->LAN connection - and the
agent traffic never hits the LAN. In scenario B, all the agents do have to
contact the LAN, but they do it on a single port and using SSL, mitigating
your risk.

A (IMO) less secure scenario C that some companies entertain would be a
multi-homed node, in this case your DMZ master having a second connection
to the LAN so it doesn't go through the firewall, but I dislike that. It
maintains the letter of the rule of no sessions from the DMZ communicating
through the firewall to the LAN, but violates the spirit of the rule by
creating a bridge between the segments without the firewall policy to
minimize risk.

Most places I've been at would accept the risk of agents talking to the
master only (scenario B); a few would prefer an additional DMZ master and
accept the overhead (scenario A); only one would take scenario C and it's
no coincidence that I quit that company in a hurry :)

Hope that helps.

Rob Nelson
rnels...@gmail.com