I haven't had that experience with puppet, but I have had it with other
services.

Assuming you've gone through things like checking load, logs (for the
puppetserver/puppet master), continuous ping, strace, and so on, I recommend
that you capture packets on either side. Checking timestamps may show you if
both sides of the tcp conversation are getting through. If they are you know
the issue is isolated to one or both sides, if the packets aren't getting
through then you know to check intervening switches and firewalls.

Especially the "connection reset by peer" part. If one end is hanging and the
other end reports a reset connection, to me that sounds like something in the
middle.