On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 6:22:39 AM UTC-5, Thomas Müller wrote:

>>> Another usecase could be to have a async puppetdb connection from the
>>> second datacenter. If the connection between the datacenters is not  stable
>>> enough to use a single puppetdb I would need to add a puppetdb per DC.Then
>>> I also would want to sync data to the central puppetdb instance.
>>>

>> Is that an *actual* use case or a hypothetical one?
>>
>> I'm just thinking what my options are if it the datacenter link is not
> stable enough. I'm not investing time to create a solution.
>
> I've thought a bit longer about the "importing reports". it's not just
> importing reports, it's also importing facts and importing catalogs to the
> central db. Overall I think this really would require much time to
> implement the tooling. Maybe then it will be easier to query 2 puppetdb's
> instead of syncing everything to one.
>
> But maybe all works out fine and no hacking will be necessary. :)

There are Postgres-level tools for database federation and
synchronization.  As I already suggested, something along those lines is
probably worth your consideration as a mechanism for the actual data
movement.  The other question to consider is how to structure the data so
that it even makes sense to combine them at all, and again, at a bare
minimum, your various participating masters should rely on a common CA.  To
a good approximation, the CA identity is the site identity, and it does not
make much sense to combine data from different sites in the same database.

John