I accidentally ran puppet agent on our puppet master and now puppet server
won't start up any more. Multiple reboots have failed to clear the
situation and I can't figure out what file changed.

Here's the tail end of /var/log/messages | grep puppetserver, minus the
datestamps:

:
puppet puppetserver: at
puppet puppetserver: at
puppet puppetserver: at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
puppet puppetserver: Background process 4918 exited before start had
completed
puppet systemd: puppetserver.service: control process exited, code=exited
status=1
puppet systemd: Failed to start puppetserver Service.
puppet systemd: Unit puppetserver.service entered failed state.
puppet systemd: puppetserver.service failed.
puppet systemd: puppetserver.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart
puppet systemd: Starting puppetserver Service...
puppet puppetserver: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option
MaxPermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0

Any thoughts about where to look next for a solution, or at least a more
in-depth understanding of what's going on? This server has been in
operation for several years without any issues until we stomped something...

Thanks,