On 2018-09-14 14:47, jcbollinger wrote:

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 3:10:59 AM UTC-5, Johan De Wit wrote:

    Hi,

    check this ticket. https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-6723
    <https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-6723>

    It is hard to explain, but the 'and' a resource collector does niot
    behave like the 'boolean and' as we expect this.

I don't follow, Jo.  The issue described here is not about the search expression, but the fact that an /ordinary/ resource collector imports /exported/ resources declared by the node.  The presence or details of a search expression is not relevant -- under no circumstances should this happen.

If this behavior is in fact happening, then I'd guess that Puppet is failing to distinguish between (1) resources exported by the target node and not imported, and (2) resources exported by any arbitrary node and imported for the target node.  Alternatively, perhaps Puppet is more simply just failing to distinguish between exported and virtual resources declared by the target node.

The <| |> operator finds ALL resources (regular, virtual and exported) that match. It realizes those that are not already realized.

The <<| |>> operator finds ONLY exported resources.

The query must thus be written to take that into account.
And THAT is where it becomes important how the != and == operators
actually work.

(I am in no way defending the way it works, but it will be very difficult to change without difficult to find silent backwards incompatibilities).

- henrik

John

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:puppet-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/a4c43871-cd4e-4e40-a23b-5fa44bfc0dfc%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/a4c43871-cd4e-4e40-a23b-5fa44bfc0dfc%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Visit my Blog "Puppet on the Edge"
http://puppet-on-the-edge.blogspot.se/