Thanks Ben.

Would you know why this wouldn't work? I have the module manifest folder
under adhoc/pakg/dan/manifest/

#puppet parser validate init.pp

Warning: Unacceptable location. The name 'adhoc::pkg::dan::init' is
unacceptable in file
'/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/modules/adhoc/pkg/dan/manifests/init.pp' (file:
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/modules/adhoc/pkg/dan/manifests/init.pp, line: 1,
column: 1)

So I assumed with the init.pp file this would work?
class adhoc::pkg::dan {

}

I also tried just using the module name prior to the manifest folder but
that didn't work as well.